Corona Sites Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places
WOMAN’S IMPROVEMENT CLUB CLUBHOUSE
GRAND BOULEVARD HISTORIC DISTRICT
Andrew Carnegie Library (added 1977 - Building - #77000324)
Also known as Old Corona Public Library
Location: Eighth and Main Streets. (805 South Main Street), Corona
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect: Burnham, Franklin Pierce; builder,or engineer: Bloom, S.L.,
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Area of Significance: Architecture, Social History
Period of Significance: 1906-1924
Owner: Local Gov't (until demolition in 1978)
Historic Function: Education Historic Sub-function: Library
Current (1977) Function: Vacant / Not In Use; (2013) Demolished since 1978
This neo-classical revival building was designed by Los Angeles architect Franklin Pierce Burnham, with construction completed on July 2, 1906. The exterior was of cream and red colored pressed brick, with stone and concrete trim. It was symmetrically designed with a central staircase flanked by sloping bannisters, which held decorative iron lights. The entrance was topped by an overhanging triangular pediment with ornate plaster designs, PUBLIC LIBRARY clearly placed on the face and supported by fluted Ionic columns on either side. This building served as the City’s public library until July 3, 1971, when a much larger public library facility was constructed several blocks away. The building remained empty for the next six years. Despite efforts to have it preserved, restored and repurposed, funding was not made available and it fell into disrepair. The building was demolished April 18, 1978 to much public outcry.
Woman's Improvement Club Clubhouse (added 1988 -Building - #88002014)
Location: 1101 S. Main St., Corona
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Preston, Thomas E.
Architectural Style: Bungalow/Craftsman
Area of Significance: Architecture, Social History
Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Historic Function: Social Historic Sub-function: Clubhouse
Current Function: Social Current Sub-function: Clubhouse
Southern California architect Thomas Preston designed this one-story, multi-gabled, Craftsman style bungalow clubhouse that was built in 1913, incorporateing elements of an old Welsh church. The club was formed in 1899 as a civic organization called the Town Improvement Association; it changed its name to the Woman’s Improvement Club of Corona in 1902. The building’s architectural features include painted wood cedar shingles on the exterior walls, a steep-gabled main roof with clipped gables over the side wings, an original oak front door with beveled glass, and wooden porch piers on prominent brick bases.It was added to the National Register on November 3, 1988, and is one of only two/three remaining structures within Corona city limits with that status.
Corona High School (added 2005 )- Building - #05000772)
Also known as Corona High School # 2
Location: 815 W. Sixth St., Corona
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Sias, Richard, Wilson, G. Stanley
Architectural Style: Mission/Spanish Revival
Area of Significance: Social History, Architecture
Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949, 1950-1974
Owner: Local Gov't
Historic Function: Education Historic Sub-function: School
Current Function (2005): Government Current Sub-function: City Hall/Civic
Center; (2013) Referred to as Corona’s Historic Civic Center housing offices
and activity areas for many Corona-based non-profit organizations.
Corona High School # 2 is located within the Corona Historic District, at 815 West Sixth Street, and fronts south onto Corona’s major east-west arterial roadway in an essentially commercial area. Small businesses and store fronts surround the site. The main building is set behind a beautifully landscaped lawn with a central fountain and mature evergreen trees to shade the site. A new City Hall with its landscaped walkways and a large parking lot are located behind the building. The main building is constructed of reinforced concrete with electric lights and steam heat. The auditorium at the center-rear of the building is characterized by the use of massive wood trusses to support the roof resting on rein forced pilasts. The structure immediately to the east of the east wing of the main structure, was constructed in 1931 of reinforced concrete and was used for classrooms/library. The structure farther east was used for classrooms and the home economics department. North of the home economics structure is the school gymnasium which remains in use at the present time with City Parks and Recreation athletic activities.
The main building was originally built in 1922-23 and opened for use in 1923. It was designed by noted Riverside architect G. Stanley Wilson. It was built by Cresmer Manufacturing Co. This two story structure is built in Mediterranean – Spanish Revival style architecture, with various rectangular sections and some very special architectural elements. There is a large sunburst window above the front doors. Fourteen (14) ornate low relief carvings/castings appear below the second floor balconet railings above the entrance, and also on the side windows. Three themes (learning, natural sciences and fine arts) are repeated in these scroll edged escutcheon castings. A symmetrical shield with point at the bottom, a flaming torch at the top and a scroll and open book represent learning. The natural sciences are depicted on an irregular shaped shield and represented by a globe, various engineering or astronomical measuring instruments and the sun, moon and stars. Fine Arts are represented on an oval shield by an artist’s palette and brushes, the capital (top) of an ionic column representing architecture and a partially rolled fabric or paper on which drawings or paintings may be made. Six of these castings symmetrically highlight double arched second story windows corresponding to the open arches at the recessed front entry. Two escutcheons are located on the second story single window balconets to the left and right of the entry. Three escutcheons are located on the balconets of the triple windows located on the sides of the main entry façade. Under the eaves, characterized by sculpted rafter tails, are large oval vents with decorative vertical spindles. The central hip roof is covered with clay tile, the east and west end sections of the roof are gabled and are also covered with clay tile.
From its location in the heart of the City of Corona’s historic district, this property depicts the warmth, design, style, beauty and character of a bygone age. Its architecture is truly unique. From 1962 to 2005 the facility was used as a civic center/city hall. In spite of some modernization the exterior still retains its integrity and is recognized as a special place in the community. Its architecture and embellishments exemplify artistic elements and construction techniques so truly unique that even after some ninety years they communicate historic associations that make it a truly special place in the community.
Grand Boulevard Streetscape (Added 2011 – Historic District - #11000432)
Also known as “The Boulevard” or “The Circle”
Location: A circular roadway 3 miles in circumference whose center Is located
on Sixth Street, approximately 300 feet east of Main Street, Corona
Historic Significance:. The circular roadway gave rise to the city’s nickname
“The Circle City” and is the only Boulevard in town.
Architect, builder, or engineer: Hiram Clay Kellogg, Civil Engineer
Area of Significance: Community Planning & Development,
Entertainment - Recreation, Politics & Government
Period of Significance: 1886 – present
Significant dates: 1913, 1914 & 1916 internationally recognized road races
Owner: Local Government
Historic Function: Transportation related – vehicular
Recreation & Culture, sports facility - Speedway
Historic sub-function: Automobile racecourse 1913, 1914, 1916
Current Function: Government, Public Works, Roadway.
The Grand Boulevard Historic District is located within the existing right-of-way of Grand Boulevard, which is one of the City’s original streets set out in the map of the Lands of the South Riverside Land and Water Company, recorded on February 12, 1987 in the records of San Bernardino County (prior to the establishment of Riverside County in 1893). Grand Boulevard was established to surround the center point of the original street system of the South Riverside and and Water Company, the subdivision map that established the town later to be named Corona. The map was surveyed and drawn by noted civil engineer Hiram Clay Kellogg, at the request of the city’s founder Robert B.Taylor.
The roadway and original improvements established in 1887 are still intact today, with the circular layout and alignment essentially unchanged. The Grand Boulevard roadway gave rise to the longstanding City nickname “The Circle City.” It was also known as “The Crown Colony” as the shape of the Boulevard resembled that of a crown. As the city’s only Boulevard, it contains wide parkways, large mature trees, planted in the early 1900s, within its wide parkways, “pocket” parks originally spaced at four areas around the circle, and historic street lights fronting the historic homes of the city founders and community leaders. The unique circular roadway was a prominent design feature in the City, and was also used as an automobile race track in the early 1900s when the City hosted internationally acclaimed road races in 1913, 1914, and 1916 to attract prospective residents, businesses and investors to the developing city. The first race drew in excess of 100,000 spectators as well as racing legends to drive the race cars.
The Grand Boulevard streetscape continues to provide the downtown area with the small town ambiance reflective of the City’s history in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s. The multitude of the older homes fronting the Grand Boulevard right-of-way are themselves either on the City’s Historic Register or eligible for listing. The mature landscaping, historic streetlights, and wide parkways significantly contribute to the historic character of the unique landmark for which the City of Corona is named.
Corona Sites Listed on the State Register of Historic Places only
Corona Theater - Landmark Building (Added 1991 – Building - #90002127)
Location: 201-211 East Sixth Street, 517 South Ramona Avenue
Historic Significance:. Architecture - Engineering, Event
First movie theater with sound in Corona
Architect, builder, or engineer: Boller, Carl , Civil Engineer, Glass, Perle, Superintendent
Area of Significance: Entertainment - Recreation, Architecture
Period of Significance: 1929 – 1949
Significant dates: 1929 - 1982 Movie theater, sound movies
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade, Recreation and Culture
Historic sub-function: Business, Theater
Current Function: Commerce, Trade, Religion
Current sub-function: Business, Religious Structure
The Spanish Revival style Corona Theater, located on the southeast corner of Sixth Street and Ramona Avenue (also known as the Landmark Building when accessed from its 517 South Ramona Avenue address, was designed by famed Southern California architect Carl Boller and dedicated on August 29, 1929. Local contractor Perle Glass supervised the construction. Various celebrities including Al Jolson, Laurel and Hardy, Irving Berlin, Clara Bow, Hoot Gibson, and Delores Del Rio, attended its grand opening ceremonies along with movie industry personalities Sid Grauman, Joseph Schenk and Harry Richman. Its L-shaped design features a two-story elevation in front and three stories in the rear, with separate segments of varying heights topped by individual gable roofs and interspersed with hipped roof towers. The building was constructed of brick, with stucco on its front elevation. Some remodeling has been done to the exterior (the portico over the Sixth Street sidewalk and the modifications to the marquee are the most obvious), but significant details remain. Over the years, the building has had various uses, including commercial office space, a Masonic Lodge meeting hall and as a religious sanctuary. The building Is the only pre-Depression Era theater remaining in Corona, and has been determined eligible for the National Register but was added only to the State of California Department of Parks and Recreation (State Historic Preservation Office) Historic Resources Inventory because the owner declined listing on the National Register of Historic Places
Corona Sites Listed on the County listing of Historic Resources
Corona RR Depot building, located at 150 Deport Drive, was surveyed on February 12, 1983 and is registered with the State of California (No. 33-1720-2-144). The Corona Depot is listed on the City of Corona Historic Resources Inventory, and the Riverside County Historical Resources Inventory. It is listed as eligible for inclusion in a Riverside County identified historic district located in Corona generally bordered by Railroad Avenue on the north, Lincoln Avenue on the west, Chase Drive on the south and Rimpau Avenue on the east by the State of California Department of Parks and Recreation State Historic Preservation Office.
The Corona Depot is located along the south side of the railroad tracks immediately west of North Main Street. It is one of four such depots along the original Santa Fe Railroad Santa Ana Canyon line, including depots in Claremont, Monrovia, and Upland (then North Ontario). The four depots were designed in the Spanish Colonial/Mission Revival style by architect H. L. Gilman and constructed in 1937 (Corona’s 50 year anniversary) by Hoagland Engineers and Construction Company of Long Beach. The four depots were built as “combination depots” that included a passenger waiting room, an office, and a freight facility for citrus fruit shipment. The depots were owned and operated by the Santa Fe Railway Company. Both the present Corona and Upland depots replaced older Victorian style structures structures of essentially identical design built in 1887-1888 on the same locations.
California State Historic Markers located in the Corona/ Temescal Valley area
NO. 185 SERRANO BOULDER - As early as 1818, Don Leandro Serrano had cattle, sheep, cultivated land, and orchards in Temescal Valley. The boulder placed by residents of Temescal Valley marks the site of the first house in Riverside County, erected by Leandro Serrano about May 1824.
Location: From I-15, take Old Temescal Canyon Rd S 0.4 mi to Lawson Rd, then go W 0.2 mi to dirt rd, then S 0.1 mi to site, 9 mi S of Corona
NO. 186 SERRANO TANNING VATS - Nearby, two vats were built in 1819 by the Luiseño Indians under the direction of Leandro Serrano, first non-Indian settler in what is now Riverside County. The vats were used in making leather from cow hides. In 1981 the vats were restored and placed here by the Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus.
Location: NW corner of I-15 and Old Temescal Rd, 8 mi SE of Corona
NO. 187 CARVED ROCK - The petroglyphs were carved by the Luiseño Indians, their meaning is said to be: 'A chief died here. These are his plumes, his portrait, his sign, and the animals sacred to him.' The Luiseño Indians who lived in Temescal Valley belonged to the Shoshoean linguistic group. The rock has been damaged by vandals.
Location: In canyon, 0.4 mi N of I-15 (P.M. 32.5), 8 mi S of Corona
NO. 188 BUTTERFIELD STAGE STATION - Site of Butterfield Stage Station where mail was delivered and horses changed. The first stage carrying overland mail left Tipton, Missouri on September 15, 1858 and, passing through Temescal, arrived in Los Angeles October 7, 1858. Due to area development, this marker, which was located near the water course of the Temescal Creek, no longer exists. A substitute marker was placed on a large rock in the pedestrian plaza at the north end of the Dos Lagos water feature and bridge. (approximately 1000 yards north and slightly west of the original location) by Dos Lagos developer Ali Sahabi.
Location: 20730 Temescal Canyon Rd, 7 mi S of Corona (original)
North of 2785 Lakeshore Drive (Wood Ranch BBQ and west of Temescal
Canyon Road (replacement)
NO. 190 PAINTED ROCK - In tribute to the earliest record of any people in this region, the Santa Fe Railway has preserved this rock with its ancient pictograph, and the Committee of the Corona Women's Improvement Club has placed this tablet.
Location: From Temescal Canyon Rd, go 0.1 mi E on Dawson Canyon Rd, then go 0.1 mi NE on Gravel Pit Rd, then 0.2 mi S along railroad track berm, site is 50 ft W of berm, 7 mi S of Corona
NO. 224 RUINS OF THIRD SERRANO ADOBE - Don Leandro Serrano set out orchards and vineyards and cultivated some of the fertile lands of the Temescal Valley. In the 1840s he built his third adobe, which the Serrano family occupied until 1898, on the well-traveled road between San Diego and Los Angeles.
Location: NE corner of I-15 and Old Temescal Road, 8 mi SE of Corona
NO. 638 OLD TEMESCAL ROAD - This route was used by Luiseño and Gabrieleno Indians, whose villages were nearby. Leandro Serrano established a home here in 1820. Jackson and Warner traveled the road in 1831, and Frémont in 1848. It was the southern emigrant road for gold seekers from 1849 to 1851, the Overland Mail route from 1858 to 1861, and a military road between Los Angeles and San Diego from 1861 to 1865. In the early 2000s, the original bronze marker removed by vandals. In 2013 it was replaced by a similar sized granite marker, on the original river rock monument, provided by Glen Ivy Hot Springs.
Location: On Old Hwy 71, 0.9 mi S of I-15 and Temescal Canyon Rd interchange, 11 mi S of Corona
NO. 738 CORONA FOUNDERS MONUMENT - In tribute to Corona’s five founders: Robert B. Taylor, A. S. Garretson, George L. Joy, Samuel Merrill and Adolph Rimpau, the 20-30 Club of Corona, in 1936, placed a rock with a bronze plaque attached to it, in Corona’s City Park...It is usually referred to as “Founders Rock.
Location: Corona City Park, 930 East Sixth Street, between Grand Boulevard and Rimpau Street on the north side of Sixth Street.